- a 100-200 word story inspired by a photo from www.shorpy.com
- a 100-250 word story inspired by moment from a fairy tale
- a 100-250 word story inspired by an historical event and/or person
- a 100-250 word story inspired by a current celebrity
- a 200-300 word story inspired by a personal photograph
Work on the next one can begin after you've revised a few drafts--and met with me and fellow students for feedback.
From Tuesday 11/10 to Friday 11/13, you will be drafting, revising, and workshopping these stories. (We will have the computers in the classroom.)
In the style of good flash fiction, your stories should:
- focus on a narrow moment in time
- concentrate on concrete details
- have few characters
- often start in the "middle" of the story
- have varying syntax
- have good titles
At the end of the unit, you hand in all 5 stories, selecting one for me to grade. I'll be checking in during the week to make sure you're inspired, writing, and revising.